Sunday, April 7, 2013


I love listing things... and I love reading lists; I'm sure that has become pretty obvious. So here are the top ten movies that have reduced me to tears... and so I am going on the crude assumption that they will emotionally wreck you too.

They are rated by how many buckets I needed to collect the water from my face.


10) Million Dollar Baby (2004)
I'm such a baby. I have always had a soft spot for these types of movies (inspirational sporting movies). Its the stupid build-up, the way the film makers and of course Eastwood and Swank make us think - wow, everything is gonna be alright and then no. No it's not alright. Not even close.



09) Dead Poets Society (1989)
Oh dear... I know. This is truly the type of movies that destroy me. I'm a sucker, and by sucker I do mean UBER-SUCKER for inspirational teacher movies. They're number one on my sucker list, and of course number two is the inspiration sporting movies. (Dead Poets Review here)


08) Les Miserables (2012)
I started crying about... I'd say forty minutes in; I then couldn't stop... not till the end. There were men and women crying in the theatre with me, not to mention some friends beside me. I cried so much that all clothing within ten centimetres of my face were wet.



07) Stepmom (1998)
This film can make me cry... every time. It's the combination isn't it? Mother. Children. Cancer. It's enough to ruin me; and it does every time.


06) My Girl (1991)
Do you know that I spent a small chunk of my childhood having to watch this because there was nothing else on the telly? Do you know that the vast majority of those viewings resulted in sobs of hopelessness from little old me. No? Well now you do. It's all compounded by  Vader's inability to mourn properly at first... and then the whole funeral scene... oh my! No. I can't think about it now!



05) Toy Story 3 (2010)
Nobody warned me! Not a single person. A couple of people said in passing 'yeah, it's kinda sad' so I went to go watch it in the cinema and a part of me died that night. It was doing all fine until - wham - my heart was crushed all out of the blue and stuff. How dare Andy become mature and stuff.


04) The Green Mile (1999)
If this film doesn't make you cry, you have no soul. You know it's a recipe for tearfulness after the first half an hour, and then it just gets worse, and worse and sadder and sadder. The first time I watched it I was clueless. I thought it was just a straight up 'death row' type of movie. No, it's not. And there's magic which makes it worse.



03) Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
It's that part when Pippin in singing and Faramir is trying to be the son his father wants. Oh dear. I know, it is a testament of my ultra-geekiness but I'm proud, and that scene makes me cry every time. Oh, and when he tries to burn Faramir too.



02) Life is Beautiful (1997)
I distinctly remember this film destroying me. I watched it as a teen and have not been able to revisit it because it was just so traumatic. I recommend it, I think it should be required watching for future generations. This film has subtitles.



01) Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
I watched this a few weeks ago and wow, I just could barely keep myself together. I was absolutely exhausted at the end. We watched it with some friends and I couldn't even compose myself to not SOB (...and by sob, I really do mean the gut-wrenching, chest heaving, wobble in the throat sob) in front of them. I couldn't contain myself... the stiff-upper-lip crumbled and lay in the pool of tears between my feet.


What about you? Are these in your top ten list too? What movies are always sure to make you weep like a babe in arms? Don't be shy... you can comment below or message me right in my Twitterface @OrisiB

Tagged: , , ,

7 comments:

  1. I'm TERRIBLE for a good cry-fest at films! haha... I'm with you on the Andy thing in Toy Story 3; how dare he?! And Anne Hathaway had me blubbing at I Dreamed A Dream... Also, most recently there's been a film called A Song For Marion with Gemma Arterton. Oh my days, I wept like a baby. Such a beautiful, sweet British film - and utterly destroying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try and find that out here. It sounds sad just from the title. What's it about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't cry in Les Miserables but I sure did in Toy Story 3, My Girl and Step Mom. I can't remember if I did in Lord of the Rings. I haven't seen the others but I love a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoOh, Dana, you are truly the first person I've heard who said they didn't cry at Les Miserable! You're amazing!!
    I think, if you like a good cry, it may be worth skipping to number one for your next movie and then please come back and let me know how you got on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn that Grave of the Fireflies! I really cried buckets for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Zi I know. Tell me about it. I couldn't contain myself. I was so so upset. I don't think that I can watch it again in the near future.... far too sad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... Kodi Addons 2020

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the tone!

Beep!

Orisi's Blah Blah Blah © 2013 | Powered by Blogger | Blogger Template by DesignCart.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...