Monday, October 1, 2012

Today I and a couple of my friends decided to go to the movies.

We were actually going to watch 'ParaNorman'. Well, we basically got the times mixed up and ended up NOT going to see it. 

After making our way to the movie theatre we decided that it would only be worth the journey if we actually watched something. So, we decided 'Let's see The Watch' but we all know how Ben Stiller is... sometimes he's awesome, and sometimes he's not so awesome. Unfortunately we all had busy schedules in the evening and so it was an impossibility to watch a later showing... and that is all they had available. 

And so... we opted for Dredd. All we watched was a trailer on YouTube in the middle of the mall's Food Court. We couldn't hear it, just see the fanciness of it all. I'm quite the sci-fi movie fan and so are my friends and so, well, we made the decision to watch Dredd (we didn't watch the 3D version).

This was probably one of the worst movies I have ever watched. Ever. 

The effects were pretty top of the line, but the story was just so ridiculous. I mean, so utterly ridiculous that it kinda stopped making sense right about twenty minutes in to the story. 

Karl Urban played Dredd and he was wooden, boring, and robotic. In fact, to be honest, if I hadn't watched Sylvester Stallone's Judge Dredd I would have actually thought for the first hour that he was playing a robot. 

The story is this. We're in futuristic, radiated America, and the only place that isn't barren radiated wasteland is a mega-city reaching from Washington to some other American city (sorry...). The city is pretty much a police-state run by police-people who have the authority to be both judge, jury and executioner. Dredd basically teams up with a Psychic (who is a mutant) and they're going up against Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) who is basically the queen-bee, drug-dealing, eye-popping, murderess ex-prostitute; you can pretty much guess the rest. I love you Lena Headey... but why, why did you take this role? You were awesome just being the pretty lady from 300 and the psychotic queen from Game of Thrones.

The violence (which there is a lot of) is vulgar, boring and cliched. There was no suspense and in fact... let me be honest, I walked out twenty minutes before the end. 

I'm sure there will be some fans of the comic books who feel that Dredd is a lot closer to the comic book than Stallone was... this may be true, but it didn't appeal to my sensibilities at all. And I quite openly hoped that Dredd would die so there wouldn't be a sequel. 


Anywho, this film was DREDDFUL (Get it? Get it?) and you know what the worst thing is? It has been given a 7.7/10 on IMDB....
I give it a 2/10.

Tagged: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message after the tone!

Beep!

Orisi's Blah Blah Blah © 2013 | Powered by Blogger | Blogger Template by DesignCart.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...